Tuesday, August 5, 2008

8/5 SAT WORK (First Session)

BOOK: The Official SAT Study Guide: For the New SAT

SECTION: Second SAT Test, Math Section 2

SCORE: 8/16 :[

INCORRECT ANSWERS:

1. The Figure above shows the graph of the function h. Which of the following is closest to h(5)?
*1
*2
*3
*4
*5

I really didn't understand this & i probably have learned it before so please explain to me how to do this problem.

2. Positive integers x,y,and z satisfy the equations x^-1/2 = 1/3 and y^2=16. If z.y, what is the value of x+z?
*5
*7
*11
*13
*15

I could only figure out that y=4. My fundamental problem here is how to isolate x^-1/2= 1/3. Once i find that out, then i could easily solve the problem.

3.If p is an integer and 3 is the remainder when 2p+7 is divided by 5, then p could be
*2
*3
*4
*5
*6

I was not sure how to formulate the equation because i didn't know simply how to put in " a remainder" in this equation.
I set up my equation like this:

2p+7
____ =3
   5
 & that is how i came up with 4 as the answer. Please tell me how to set this equation up.

4. Stacy noted that she is btoh the 12th tallest and the 12th shortes student in her class. If everyone in the class is of a different height, how man
y students are i
n the class?
*22
*23
*24
*25
*26

I think that there were 24 students in the class, but when there are apparently 23??
I still don't get it.

5. The quadratic function g is given by g(x) = ax^2+bx+c where a and c are negative constants. Which of the following could be a graph of g?

Okay. The primary problem here is i don't remember how to graph that.  I know its supposed to be a parabola because it has an exponent (besides 1) 
6. In the figure above, ABCD is a rectangle with BC= 4 and AB=6. Points P, Q,  and R are different points on a line (not shown) that is parallel to line segment AD . Point P and Q are symmetric about line CD. What is the length of line segment PR?

I thought "symmetric about" meant that is was equal to so when they said symmetric about, i took both of them to be 6 each, therefore i got 12. But the actual answer is 8?

7. When the number w is multiplied by 4, the result is the same as when 4 is added to w. What is the value of 3w?
*3/4
*1
*4/3
*3
* 4

??????

8.If x is an integer greater than 1 and if y=x + 1/x, which of the following must be true?

I. does not equal x
II. y is an integer
III. xy>x^2

So i chose two this time. But i make a careless mistake in my multiplication. 

At least my careless mistakes have gone down!

No comments: